Skip to main content

Second floor welcome to the family!

And so finally the building project came to an end!
One morning while me and Mila were having breakfast she looked at me and asked "mamma WHERE is the builders?" Yes I have to admit it was kind of nice to have them around making the quietness out here in the forest a little less too quiet. BUT my god it is also very very nice to finally be done!

When I started a couple of months ago with our building project the second floor of the house was a skeleton. A wooden skeleton very drafty and far far away from being called a room. Both short-sides of the facade of the second floor was still to be closed to stop wind, rain and birds from coming in. This is where we started and then continued to divide this humongous second floor with a wall to start to utilize one part as a good beginning. This room nearly 70 square meter got isolated and plaster walls put up and finally the big rounded wooden ceiling created of wood panels that has been laying there for ages. The wooden floor was already there although very dirty and a bit miss-colored from the rain that has come in over the years. The electricity was a mess and a big job of making it secure and safe as well as making the new installation has been done. First I was planning to paint and put up wallpapers by myself, but got help from family to point out that I have my hands full as it is with two kids and to run everything else (also that it will never be as well done as when professionals are doing it) that I don't need the stress of all the paint job.

And so finally came the day when we could move up! It is a great big open space room with big windows letting in great light and I also had great lamps installed in the ceiling to help create an even better light in the whole room. The room will be utilized for bedroom and work-space to start with.  I am still playing with what should be where so this will be contentiously changing to feel in the room and to set it up in the best way. My granddad is helping to make a better railing for the stairs ( I created a if you ask me pretty nice and creative railing but maybe not the safest...) apart from that I consider mission complete and feel very happy with the this transformation.

This is how it looks at the moment..


Bedroom corner, drawers for clothes & my old kids table in the middle ( yes I know I need to repaint it when I have chance) The door leads to the rest of the second floor which is still just a skeleton 




Stripy wallpapers from Borås to make the walls look taller here my beloved armchair and very temporary side table facing the big windows. 


Big work table on one side of the room. Cat Levis has taken a part of the table for his bed I guess he also likes the view


The two big windows creating great light

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Update 24/52 Making leaving gifts and wine ladies

During week 24 I have been working on preparing thank you gifts for kids teachers and friends. I like to give something symbolic which also can be useful. This year I decided to buy water bottles for the teachers and to make them personalized writing their name and some flowers on them. I bought plain smaller bottles at IKEA. With my Cricut i designed and cut it out of permanent vinyl. With adding vinyl on the bottles, they can only be hand-washed otherwise the vinyl will come off.  After five years in Germany I have gotten so use to saying Frau Janssen rather then using her first name. So I decided that I will use the last name because that is the only name the kids use. Funny how you get use to something that I from the beginning thought was so stupid and old fashion.  When I was playing around with my Cricut I also figured out how to transfer my wine ladies into svg file which is needed so the machine can cut out my illustrations. I did a test with iron on transfer vinyl. I made the

Weekly update 23/52 Düsseldorf Art journals, Tonhalle and pool season

End of May beginning of June this wonderful time of the year and it is starting to be more and more emotional and real that we soon will be packing up and leaving. After this very cold spring it is nice to finally warm up and that the pool season has started. Here in Wittlaer Düsseldorf we have a local pool in Kaiserwerth Freibad Flossenweg where we go to swim. On a normal school day in the afternoon it is not too bad with people but on a hot hot weekend it is very crowded. It is kind of funny living in a place where you meet parents from school and neighbors first fully dressed and then undressed in the pool.  One amazing experience was seeing Düsseldorf Tonhalle from inside where Mila and her school together with four other schools in Düsseldorf had a Sing Pause concert. It was magical to hear them all sing in this old planetarium which has been changed into a concert hall.  My Creative work has been focusing on personalizing Art journals. I bought plain brown paper art journals to t

Weekly update 40/52 Autumn colors and cinnamon buns

Welcome October the most colorful month of the year. Yes we are going full steam towards the darker and colder part of the year, but I have to admit it is cosy and pretty with all the colorful leaves.  I don't know if it is a new thing to have theme days where a dish or something is being celebrated. I am guessing it is a capitalistic marketing great idea so companies can make more money like Valentine day. One of those days in Sweden is 4 of October when our national bakery Cinnamon bun is being honored. I got inspired! Some time ago I bought nice linnen tea-towels which I was planning to make some print/design on and when I got inspired by cinnamon bun I knew exactly what to make. I started scribbling and drawing buns on a big sheet. When I had one or two which I thought looked ok I transfered my bun drawing to my Cricut and had it cut out on iron-on vinyl. My mum is a master in baking buns and so I made a tea-towel/baking-towel in honor of not only cinnamon buns but of my mother